10 New Years Resolutions It’s Not Too Late to Start!
New Year’s Resolutions have a bad reputation. People think they’re a waste of time and statistically 80 percent of resolutions are abandoned by February. However, that’s a matter of dedication and commitment, not an inherent fault of the New Year’s tradition itself. If you’re truly committed to changing your life in 2019, prioritizing your goals through a New Year’s Resolution is a great idea! Here’s 20 resolutions it’s not too late to start today!
- Mindfulness. Being more aware of yourself and consciously choosing to make better decisions applies to all areas of your life! Rather you want to get to bed earlier, cut back on overeating, or improve yourself in other ways, mindfulness helps you keep yourself accountable.
- Read. Expand your mind, learn something new, and stay informed about the world around you! Reading can also serve as a good way to wind down after a long day by escaping into enthralling stories with fascinating characters.
- Organize Your Life. Getting things back into order after the hectic holiday season helps to set you up for success in the new year! This can include cleaning your home, purging closets of unused clothes and items, organizing your finances, or re-establishing your daily routine.
- Start Saving. Speaking of finances- the beginning of a new year is the perfect opportunity to take control of you financial future. Dedicating a set amount of your income to savings each month adds up quickly, helping to protect you against sudden expenses. The practice of staying within your budget and being disciplined about your spending can also help you finally take that vacation you’ve been dreaming of.
- Improve Your Health. Yes, we know gyms get super packed at the beginning of the year only for the crowds to disappear by the end of the month, but taking control of your health and fitness doesn’t have to be torture! If going to the gym works for you, great! But small changes like going for walks each day, watching what you eat, and getting enough rest can greatly improve both your mental and physical health. Looking to make a more drastic change? Wonderful! Just be sure to be kind and patient with yourself as you work on self-improvement. It’s about all about consistency and dedication!
- Get Back to Your Passions. Adulthood comes with busy schedules, financial responsibilities, and other obligations that can sometimes get in the way of the things we love. This year, make your New Year’s Resolution to make time for the hobbies and people you love. This is a great self-care practice, helping to mitigate the stress and anxiety that can build up throughout the day.
- Give Up Hard Partying. Sometimes it’s hard to recognize the signs of addiction, let alone break the cycle of drug and alcohol abuse. If you struggle with substance abuse, reaching out for help could be the first step in making 2019 the best year of your life.
- Give Back to the Community. Volunteer work can be an enriching experience! Find a cause you’re passionate about to support– you never know what new friends you’ll make or opportunities which may arise because of it. Have some fun with shelter animals, challenge yourself to raise money as part of a cancer walk or run, or mentor a child.
- Be Grateful. It’s easy to get caught up in the negative things that happen in life and completely miss the little things. Taking the time each day to find something to be grateful for puts life into perspective. Even if sometimes the only thing you can be grateful for is making it through the day, positive thinking breeds positivity.
- Strengthen Your Connections. The people you surround yourself with influence the way you think, talk, and conduct yourself. This new year, it’s okay to remove people from your life who don’t uplift and encourage you. Clearing negative influences from your life not only improves your quality of life but also makes you more likely to achieve your goals.
What’s your New Year’s Resolution? Let us know in the comments!