Family Medical Leave Act

Did you know your treatment is protected by the FMLA?

The Family Medical Leave Act Entitles You to Treatment

Watching loved ones experience the grips of addiction is a pain no family wants to endure. From the outside, it’s difficult to know where to turn for help when a loved one is living with drug addiction or alcohol abuse disorders. Today, we don’t have to live in fear of impending tragedy. State and federal laws allow families to act in the best interests of our loved ones.

For people living with substance abuse disorders, a common hesitance in seeking treatment is fear of loss of employment. Fortunately, legal protections exist to help remove barriers to potentially life-saving rehabilitative services.

Family Medical Leave Act: What You Need to Know

The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law protecting the employment status and insurance coverage of certain employees during the course of medical treatment, including treatment for substance abuse disorders. Under these protections, employees who qualify are guaranteed up to 12 weeks of medical leave as well as preventing insurance companies from dropping coverage.

Who is Protected under the FMLA?

Government employees including those working in public schools, or in local, state, or federal government offices are covered by the Family Medical Leave Act. For employees of privately held companies, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Work at least 20 hours per week
  • Maintain employment with the company for at least a year prior to treatment
  • Work at or within 75 miles of a location with at least 50 employees

How Do You Qualify for FMLA Coverage?

You may be protected under the Family Medical Leave Act if:

  • You are unable to work due to a serious health condition
  • Someone within your immediate family (spouse, child, or parent) has a serious health condition requiring your care
  • You have recently adopted or fostered a child
  • Your spouse, child, or parent is deployed with the National Guard or National Reserve

How Do I File for FMLA?

Taking time off of work for addiction recovery can be a challenging choice to make, especially if you are the primary provider for yourself or your family. While the Family Medical Leave Act only requires employers to provide unpaid leave, you may be able to utilize any accrued paid time off including paid vacation days and sick leave. 

To file for FMLA, obtain the proper form from the United States Department of Labor website or from your employer. Ensure you are filling out the proper form. If you are filing in order to seek addiction treatment, you need the WH-380-E form. Your employer will need to fill out Section 1, you will fill out Section 2, and your healthcare provider will fill out Section 3. The form should then be filed with your employer.

If you have questions regarding FMLA and addiction treatment coverage, contact us today.

Have questions?

We’re Here for You

    Need help? Not Ready to talk?

    Get info and help via text for substance abuse and recovery options
    *All fields required

    By submitting this form you agree to the terms of use and privacy policy of the website. We respect your privacy. By sharing your phone number, you agree to receive texts from us – including details about your benefits. Message and data rates may apply. Sharing this information is not a condition of treatment.

    Request a Meeting

    Leave your name, email and phone number. We will be contacting you shortly.
    *All fields required

    Schedule a 15 min call

    Leave your name, email and phone number.
    *All fields required

    Let Us Help You

    Leave your name, email and phone number. We will be contacting you shortly.
    *All fields required