Niznik Behavioral Health
(877) 659-8418


Watching loved ones struggle in the grips ofaddiction is a pain no family wants to endure. From the outside, it’s difficultto know where to turn for help when a loved one is living with drug addictionor alcohol abuse disorders. Today, we don’t have to live in fear of impendingtragedy. State and federal laws allow families to act in the best interests ofour loved ones.

Don’t let fear cost you your life. Call us today for information about how we can help.

For people living with substance abusedisorders, a common hesitance in seeking treatment is fear of loss ofemployment. Fortunately, legal protections exist to help remove barriers topotentially life-saving rehabilitative services.

FamilyMedical Leave Act: What You Need to Know

The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is afederal law protecting the employment status and insurance coverage of certainemployees during the course of medical treatment, including treatment forsubstance abuse disorders. Under these protections, employees who qualify areguaranteed up to 12 weeks of medical leave as well as preventing insurancecompanies from dropping coverage.

Who isProtected under the FMLA?

Government employees including those workingin public schools, or in local, state, or federal government offices arecovered by the Family Medical Leave Act. For employees of privately heldcompanies, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Work at least 20 hours per week
  • Maintain employment with the company for at least a year prior totreatment
  • Work at or within 75 miles of a location with at least 50 employees

How DoYou Qualify for FMLA Coverage?

You may be protected under the Family MedicalLeave Act if:

  • You are unable to work due to a serious health condition
  • Someone within your immediate family (spouse, child, or parent) has aserious health condition requiring your care
  • You have recently adopted or fostered a child
  • Your spouse, child, or parent is deployed with the National Guard orNational Reserve

How DoI File for FMLA?

Taking time off of work for addiction recoverycan be a challenging choice to make, especially if you are the primary providerfor yourself or your family. While the Family Medical Leave Act only requiresemployers to provide unpaid leave, you may be able to utilize any accrued paidtime off including paid vacation days and sick leave.


To file for FMLA, obtain the proper form fromthe United States Department of Labor website or from your employer. Ensure you are filling out the proper form. If you arefiling in order to seek addiction treatment, you need the WH-380-E form. Your employer willneed to fill out Section 1, you will fill out Section 2, and your healthcareprovider will fill out Section 3. The form should then be filed with youremployer.


If youhave questions regarding FMLA and addiction treatment coverage, contact ustoday.

Contact Us

For more information, simply fill out the form or give us a call.

1515 NW 167th St, Suite 300
Miami Gardens, FL 33169
Send Us An Email
Fill Out The Form Below
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form